Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 16:55   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Triumph was a 2000 - the 6 cylinder - pretty car but the sills had been repaired badly (and I suspected the inner sills not at all), as well as a lots of other things. I think it was about £3000, but I reckoned needed about the same spending on it to make it just okay. The Rover was a P6, about the same age with the V8 motor and an auto box. Nice car, but it leaked oil (most do) which is a pet hate of mine. It was a bit over £4000, but I might have got it for a bit less cash. They both could have been made nice cars, but needed a bit of cash and patience to do so, whereas the Royal Barge is already okay, and with a tiny investment and a bit of time will be nice for another 20 years.

I've ordered the new tyres (I went for 195/65R15 as per your advice), they are being fitted on Wednesday - I'll be much happier with the right size and all 4 the same. The whole set was just £150, fitted, balanced and with 2 wheel alignment checked. That is too cheap to take a risk with the dubious old ones.

If the 501 bulbs don't fit I'm sure they will come in handy somewhere else. The Nightbreaker bulbs came in the mail today, I'll try them out on some spurious errand when it gets dark. If they work well I'll order some more (two of my bikes take H4 bulbs).

Many thanks for the links. It is a miserable afternoon here so I'll stay in and do some reading.

Best wishes,

Alan

PS. The wiring diagrams link doesn't work any more - too old for web hosting I should think.
The reason i asked about the others you looked at was because of your comment about the right amount of technology in them and your reference to PAS, disc brakes etc.

It sounds like you're into your cars (you said you have a Porsche as well i think) so i'm sort of surprised by the comments. That said, a lot would depend on the age of the cars in question, both of which would be at least 4 years older than the Barge.

I'm not too well up on the Triumph spec but seem to recall the last models had PAS, disc front/drum rear and independent suspension all round.
Again on the P6, a lot would depend on age but all P6s had disc brakes all round (inboard at the rear, independent suspension all round and from (i think) 1972 onwards on the V8, PAS as standard.
It shouldn't have leaked oil from the engine though, what did the oil pressure gauge register? If it was over 35psi when hot, the breathers are blocked and will cause oil leaks. If it's been run like that for a considerable time other problems could occur too.

It does seem as if you made the right choice out of the three cars though!

Good news on the tyres, even just having all 4 the same will be a vast improvement over a mix'n'match set.

Hope the Nightbreakers work well for you, i know the local Police round here use them but have to change them every 2 months!

Sorry the wiring diagram link didn't work, in all honesty i didn't check it but i have checked this one :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...g_diagrams.pdf

Should be the right Model Year for yours being a V reg (79-80) so hopefully helpful!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: