View Single Post
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 13:01   #25
Daim
Brit in Germany

Okay guys, the results are in.

I first checked the glow plugs. My results were that two didn't work. So I was assuming, that the car had 2 dead glow plugs. Then again, I couldn't check the OBD so I couldn't see if the car had stored any issues/fault codes.

My next step was to replace the exhaust anyway. In this moment I found out, that the DPF had broken. That would explain the soot and black smoke out of the exhaust. The DPF had deiced to break into several pieces and the result was it didn't work - oddly the regeneration of the DPF was still triggered but it didn't ever tell me do do so.

As I needed a new DPF and wasn't prepared to do it myself, I went to Volvo and also told the tech expert (long long time in the Volvo trade) about the blue smoke upon coldstart and that I seem to have found dead glow plugs.

I picked the old bugger up half a day later and was told: the blue smoke thing is easily solved with an update, which was missing on my V70. Seems the previous owners didn't even bother getting updates. In the end, a new DPF was required - I knew that - and the glow plugs are all good. Cold starts are now totally smooth and it doesn't stink of unburnt fuel nor is there any blue smoke. He basically said it would probably just be an update thing... and seemingly was right.

So sometimes going to the experts from the brand is the best thing to do. Especially if they have all that experience of working on D5s.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: