View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 18:55   #15
aleksanderk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well it is pretty clear there , the air mass output signal doesn't vary at all . As i said earlier a new Air mass meter is needed , this will transform the engine , I changed quite a few on high mileage V70/S70 VW diesels back in their day .
Don't ever " "clean" an Air mass meter , they are self cleaning every time you turn the ignition off , also how would they get dirty in the first place with a substantial Air filter feeding them fresh air ?
I have seen 2 good £300 air mass meters destroyed in front of my own eyes by foolish mechanics , that's how i learned about the dangers of "cleaning" 30 years ago !
Your air mass meter has failed though so it wont make any difference in your case .
If you look at the second last picture I posted you will se that the MAF and boost is going up and down together. There is only a little movement on the MAF, but could that be because of low boost?

I have read a bit about cleaning MAF sensors and how it should be avoided. If it's broken I've got nothing to loose, but I want to be sure before I risk anything.

What is a "normal" MAF g/s on idle for a 2,5L engine? I found a forum online where one guy said he took 1.8 and multiplied by the engine displacement. And that would give you a rough estimate on where it should be. That gives 4,5g/s and I'm at 4,91.

I might try to clean the sensor, and if the improved effect only last for an hour then I will definitely know that it's the MAF. I don't want to spend £150 on a new MAF if I don't need it. Local dealers want £310 for it but I can get it online for about £150.
aleksanderk is offline   Reply With Quote