Thread: V70: Body - Jacking points
View Single Post
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 19:18   #3
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I cannot say I have ever used the Volvo jack or jacking points. I have always used either a trolly jack or a bottle jack.

I truly see no point in jacking the body to remove a wheel, by the time the suspension is at full droop the car is so high it's unstable.
I jack under the wishbones or sub frame mountings.

Paul.
But I feel it's not good practise to place the jack against a moving part of the car (e.g. a part that will compress the spring as you jack it up), for example under the hub balljoint, or somewhere along the wishbone. It just doesn't seem as safe as putting the jack on a rigid part of the car, so I'm not sure how to avoid having to let the wheel 'drop' down while raising the car.

On my V70, the lowest rigid part of the car is the wishbone rear bush housing, but that's only about an inch lower than the subframe and sills, so doesn't make that much difference.

I agree that it never seems obvious where to place the jack, but I'm more interested in how the axle stands fit to be honest (as I always use them) and I find the wishbone rear bushing is a good shape for the 'crescent' shaped top section of the stands.