View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 14:14   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Thanks both!

I do feel a bit better about it now. The car is otherwise so totally perfect that I really was taken aback by the state of these wishbones.

I think that some wire brushing and a coat of hammerite with everything in situ is my preferred first step, working on the basis that it's all 20 years old and so to start pulling things about too much might not be a great idea.

As a back up I reckon that the suggestion to source spares to recondition off the car is an excellent idea. I've not really got the room or facilities to take and keep a complete rear end assembly, but Dai, would you be willing to sell me some selected bits off the one that you have?

Now that I've had the S90 a few weeks I'm beginning to find a few bits and pieces that I hadn't spotted when I bought the car. For example:
  • When it rains there's a bit of paint bloom around the rear upright of the drivers door window frame. When I look closely I can see that the trailing edge must have been caught at some time. It's been touched-in very neatly, but the lacquer coat is been damaged enough to let a bit of moisture in. When the sun comes out it all looks perfect! Overall the paintwork looks fabulous, but there are a few odd very minor nicks, and a few touched-in chips. It passes the 1-metre test easily, but do I accept those little imperfections as a part of the car's character, or do I invest in paintwork perfection?

• I've found that from cold, the first upshift from 3rd to 4th on the autobox is marginally noticeable, whereas every other shift is absolutely seamless. Once the car is warmed up all the shifting is perfect. I checked the fluid - it's clear and pink. So do I contemplate a fluid change, or do I just accept that at 21 years young, the car has a bit of "personality"?

• Similarly, the front suspension can give the odd random knock and groan. The drop links are now new, and that has improved things a lot, but as with the shift, it's an old car and unless I start replacing every bush and ball joint, I'm probably never going to eliminate every potential noise.

• In the same way, the bit of misting around the diff, and for that matter the (very small) wrinkles in 3 of the 4 door cards. Do things like this merit a quest to return things to "as new", or should the car bear these badges of longevity with pride? What the poets call "patina" probably covers it!

It's a beautiful car and a joy to drive, and one that I plan to keep. It's in better condition all round than our 1998 S70, and we wouldn't change anything about that car - we love it just the way it is! And am I daft to think that an older car is actually better for a few honest imperfections? I bought the S90 to use it everyday, not lock it away and cover it with a dust sheet.

Owning and driving this car is reminding me just how much of the quality of design and engineering that is to be found in an older vehicle just doesn't feature in more modern offerings. That, and the refreshing re-discovery that it is perfectly possible to own and drive a car that isn't overly burdened with computerised gizmos!

Cheers

Jack

If you only want some of teh bits I can separate.

The gearbox I would not worry too much about, ATF change will not harm but probably will not help, might pay to pull the sump and clean the filter.

The odd slight knock I'd not worry too much about and wait for it to get worse and do a full rebuild
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote