View Single Post
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 21:37   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Swirl arm calibration

Hi Bic,

Very interesting to read your post, i noticed on my D5/185 that the arm at the swirl arm end had come off and although it was still attached to the motor/actuator end wasnt doing much !.. a bit of investigation revealed that one of the four tiny "clips" inside the socket thats on the engine side had broken, and it seems likely having read your post that its when it tries to calibrate the movement, pushing the link toward the front of the car fully, that it must have broken the socket end. I also noticed the first time I re attached the plastic linkage (with hand crafted bracket that holds the ball into the socket on the engine side) it moved the linkage over its full range before returning to normal position. I did wonder if this only happened if the link wasnt there, but perhaps as you say it does it once every number of cycles.

Does it rely on the resistance of when the link hits its end stop to detect its reached full travel? im guessing it must unless it has some other way of measuring the position, seems a bit crude either way, as the linkages dont seem to stand up to the strain.

Ive attached some pics of the linkage, it looks a bit different to the one in your pics, what year is yours? The elastic band in the pic is only to see if it would work before glueing the bracket in place ! (pics to follow)

How did you work out where to position the stop? having the link disconnected doesnt seem to throw up any fault codes, or perhaps it does but you cant see them?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl_arm_socket.JPG (107.7 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg link_end_socket.JPG (85.6 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg swirl_arm_D5_posn.JPG (338.8 KB, 627 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote