Thread: Nav display
View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:05   #5
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
Being old school, I have to disagree with both of you, iPads stuck on dashboards, do they still call them that or are they now media display shelving, is horrid to look at and to stick a map across the speedo etc, even if it is still visible at the bottom of the screen, isn’t aesthetically pleasing to my minds eye. Can’t see me buying a new car again, if they all go down the iPad stuck on car look........
If you look through some brochures, most (all?) cars are going this way now. Analogue dials and buttons, are on the decline, especially in the premium sector. I personally much prefer touch screens and fewer physical buttons, but then I am a tech fan.

Quote:
...imagine that thrust in your face , Car navigation is 80% about listening to voice guidance , you really cant be studying maps on the move from a screen , It is still illegal to watch a TV In a car ..
I personally think Audi's virtual cockpit is pretty cluttered, but when I test drove the Q7, it wasn't distracting. I don't get the 'TV' comment - you don't stare at it, that would be crazy. Personally, if I do need to look at the map, I'd rather it was large and right in front of me and so I could see a couple of turns ahead if I'm in a town. I wish I'd specced the HUD though...

My main point though was that you have little customisation of the driver display and what little there is, you have to pull over and go through the settings menus to amend. My last 3 cars have had driver information displays between the dials that you can easily change using the stalk to show what you need (nav arrows/map, trip computer, media or simply 'nothing' if that's what you want.

All this is just software on the Sensus and could be easily voice controlled: "driver display large map', 'driver display trip computer', 'display nothing' etc..

It all feels a bit half baked to me. Let see what the next-gen brings in 2021.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote