View Single Post
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:32   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid60ish View Post
Simplest thing is to ask your Volvo dealer exactly what they will use in your car before you take it in. I'd be surprised if a full blown Volvo dealership was using anything second-rate.

As for Mobil etc "dumping" old-spec oil onto Costco etc, (earlier post by Amsoil), I think there is a need to look more closely at what Costco etc are selling. It seldom has U.K. labels on the packs, sometimes not even an English translation, (which may not be legal from an H&S standpoint), and is generally purchased bulk somewhere in the world..........Costco are a global buyer. We've bought Coca-Cola from them in cans printed in Arabic. Whatever, if it conforms to your car's requirements for viscosity and performance and your choice of semi- or full-synthetic - AND is a major brand - where is the problem. As far as I know, Amsoil are neither base-oil refiners nor additive producers, (but I'm happy to be corrected), so they are just blenders. At least Esso/Mobil, Castrol/BP, Shell and Total produce their own base-oils and, of course, sell them into the wholesale market. Think I'll stay with Esso/Mobil or Castrol.
I'd have a lot more respect for a main dealer who said they wern't using the Volvo recommended oil. Then told me what they did use and gave me the option of having the recommended stuff at an extra cost. I think if you go to a Volvo main dealer you should be able to expect the Volvo recommended oil to be used. Where do you draw the line otherwise? Pattern parts because they are cheaper?

Roy