View Single Post
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 11:35   #1
Jerry1975

Cool Newbie - V50 D5 2.4 Questions

Hi there,

I am new to the forum so please go easy on me..

I am looking for a new runabout with a bit more space and practicality than my current 2009 BMW 320i Coupe and I have always been a fan of the 2004-2012 Volvo V50 model.

The 5-cylinder 2.4 litre D5 engine intrigues me and I've heard good things about how robust they are, especially when compared to the 1.6D and the 2.0 PSA engine.

1) Looking at vehicle specs, I can see that 2007-on cars have massively improved MPG figures than earlier 2.4 D5 cars. Why is this and can the 'improved' MPG stats be believed?

2) Is anyone able to provide any 'real-world' (2007-on) MPG figures for both the 6-speed manual and also the auto?

3) Is the rarer 6-speed manual gearbox pretty robust and can it cope with high mileages?

4) Do the 2.4 D5 engined cars feel a lot more nose-heavy and 'understeery' than the smaller engined cars?

5) How are the D5 models on front tyres?

6) I've seen that some models have a USB connector in the centre console but most only have an AUX IN socket. Is the stereo able to play MP3 files directly from CD or the USB port or do you have to connect a separate MP3 player or stream from a phone etc?

7) Finally, as I will be looking at a higher mileage car (130k+) around 10 years old, are there any major issues to look out for?

Apologies for lots of queries, but any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote