View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 13:19   #6
Marx130

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
My diesel 2008 XC70 (170k miles) has started making an intermittent clicking/whirring noise. It has been described as sounding like a lightweight hedge trimmer.
It lasts a few seconds and happens, eg. when I unlock the car, when I open a door, in fact it seems to be triggered by any form of electrical change.
My local mechanic (not Volvo but I have found him to be sensible and reliable) thinks it is coming from the turbo 'actuator'. Some part not engaging properly.

I do get the occasional symptoms of a misfire and lack of power but very intermittent. I did get an 'engine system service urgent' warning but it went away the day when I next I used the car.

A turbo problem makes sense and the mechanic hopes to be able to replace the actuator as the hardware seems in good order.

Does his diagnosis make sense? If so, can the actuator be replaced without the main unit?

I don't really want to take it to my local Volvo dealer as they charge a *lot* more than the local guy (and he's in walking distance)
I can confirm, this is turbo geometry actuator which makes the sound (I saw it myself checking from under the car). It seems energised for a second when open a door or unlock the car. Is it normal- I don't know!!!
I got the same problem recently, but the main problem is loss of power above 2500revs and I was looking for split hose. Found it could be the turbo resonator, but have not changed it yet. So please keep posting if the change of the actuator did some difference, and I will post will the turbo hose solve the problem.
Marx130 is offline   Reply With Quote