Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - stuttering pulsing power
View Single Post
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 00:33   #7
yannickc

Default update

Yes, it wasn’t the fuel filter.
I’m still looking for the problem.

But this weekend I’m did some big changes in order to (hopefully) repair this problem.
In the mean time a also noticed a sounds that wasn’t there before :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyg9OL-A2zc
You need to set your volume loud enough to hear this.
It like an air whistle. Not fully related on engine RPM.
If I put the throttle the sounds disappears. But for example if a drive in 3 the gear and I let the car roll out, the sound comes up around 2000 RPM. It looks like it coming from the EGR cooler, buts its hard to locate.

I also noticed a lack of throttle response. There was power, but whit a little delay.
It was for example hard to accelerate fast from 0-100km/u without power dips between the gears.

The next thing I noticed was oil dirt on my fuel lines at the bottom of the car.
There was a small leakage on the connection (maybe by friction, and then rust…) in the engine bay.
Changed both fuel and return fuel line. But also this was not fixing the stuttering problem.

Next thing I checked was the fuel tank. But there was nothing special to see.
So also no solution on this side.

At this point I started to get worrying. The next part in line is the fuel pump..
A very expansive part. But luck was on my side this weekend. I was able to get a full engine with fuel pump and injectors for only 200 euros… So I take my changes and just buy this engine and replaced the fuel pump.

I also cleaned out the egr cooler (not egr valve) with a bit of brakespray.
And also changed the fuel pressure sensor on the rail.

First impression was the sound was disappeared. I’m not sure it was the pump or the egr cooler.
But the EGR is blanked off, so normally there is no change of air passing by.. I’m also not convinced my brake spray make a big difference… So was the sounds from the old pump and maybe amplified on the egr cooler? (as a soundbox…) I don’t really know, but the sound is fixed….

I also noticed a increase of throttle response, but after a few test drives. The problems appears again….

In my frustration I just put on my bad shoes and dissemble the injectors from the donor engine and installed them on my v50. This is the last part in the whole fuel system….
I had a little of problems with fuel leaking, but after a couple of retries it looks ok.
I also need to change the injector class code in Vida. The original one’s was class 6, the donor parts are class 5. Luckily the engine started almost directly and runs smooth….

I did a couple of test drives with each time a 15min brake (because a noticed I was happing a lot when the car was stopped for like 15min and take it for a drive again). So for I can not reproduce the problem. So I’m living on hope now….

It is btw possible , if the fuel pump was broken there flows metal parts from the pump to the injectors and damaged the injectors…

So if this is the solution I’m pretty shore the fuel pump is also died and make collateral damage to the injectors… But then the question is, why is the fuel pump damaged.
Maybe by to mush air in the system?

I keep you up to date….
yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote