View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:02   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
The screen wash that I was using when I acquired my 940 in 2005 went snotty and blocked the inline filter which was impossible to clean. I cleaned the reservoir and pipework and renewed the filter and changed the screen wash additive to Halfords concentrate. (Dilute to your requirements). Since then had no further blockage problems.
I was (and had been) using Wilko own brand screenwash additive that was originally a concentrate. I noticed on the bottle of it that went snotty that is is now "Ready to use" - in other words, no dilution necessary.

I'm not sure when they changed it and haven't had a previous problem but the fact they have changed it leads me to believe it was some sort of incompatibility of the new and old type fluids. Right or wrong i have no idea.

The washers started deteriorating in their performance over summer (that's when the snotty stuff appeared) so i flushed it through with clean water for a couple of reservoirs full then added a pint of white vinegar and clean water and this seemed to sort things. It was only when i added another dose of the Wilko stuff (after using only clean water in between) that the snot came back.

More clean water through the reservoir (3 refills) then i added some Flash - not the ideal thing but gives a nice, smear-free finish.

At the moment, it has the remains of the Flash and more clean water, the only thing not working exactly as they should are the headlamp washers so i might have to investigate those too, ensure the pump is running (i retro fitted an additional pump on mine) and go from there.

From now until the weather warms up and i can go back to using a proprietary additive screenwash, i'm going to stick with what is working and see how things go.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: