View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 22:13   #25
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I wondered what that sensor was for in the courtesy light and guessed at temperature. Seems an odd way of doing it but i'm more used to a sensor on the side of the instrument pod with a small fan behind it which comes with its own set of weird noises if it becomes dirty.

Haven't exactly done much on it today except bought a set of rear pads for it for the princely sum of £11 - had a look with a mirror and a dose of contortionism and they looked like the square (cheaper) option so went for them. If it turns out they are the rectangular ones then at least i can change them - one of the benefits of using the local parts factor/shop.

The brakes were the main reason the previous owner was selling the rear pads are down to the metal and he got a quote to have the problem sorted. The place he put it into wanted to fit 4 corners worth of discs, pads and calipers at a cost of about £5-600. As far as i can see it's only the back ones and the discs aren't badly scored. Also the sticking caliper that had allegedly caused the problem freed itself with a bit of judicious hooning on corners on the drive home

When i have the jack out to do the brakes, i'll have a go at sorting the exhaust leak which seems to be coming from the flange between the front to middle sections - at least that's what it felt like when my friend stuck his hand on the tailpipe and i had a grope round where the noise was coming from.

It's early 80's tech, ok it was 87 model year when we first had it fitted to the 760 but it was in development well before that.. I guess there will be some value to checking for a vac source at the sensor, you should be able to hear it with the engine running if you're near it with the windows etc closed...

Sounds like you may have been lucky with the brakes then, although all will be told when you go to wind the Pistons back in, don't be surprised if you find them corroded and won't wind back in...

Is yours fitted with a cat, perhaps now's the time to ditch it if so..? My front box resonates and I've been really tempted with the idea of having it removed in favour of a straight pipe in its place to make the V6 a little more vocal and help with breathing too of course