View Single Post
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:08   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Austen,

Very few people on the Volvo scene are into N/A tuning, due to Volvo's long-time involvement with turbocharging, and the associated power gains. Applying that sort of work to a T5 engine would probably result in roughly double the power at minimal extra cost...which is necessary when you're pulling roughly double the weight of your Caterham around!

Off the top of my head, your formula looks good for 300+bhp. It's a very interesting project.

I have an older B200 unit on Solex ADDHE 40s (Solex's answer to the DCOE), which is essentially standard bar the carbs, and makes somewhere around 150bhp. With a few more upgrades and spinning to ~7k, I'm aiming for 100bhp/litre. I'd liken it to a Pinto on DCOEs...it's fairly old, dumb technology! Having said that, that's about as close as you're likely to come to NA tuning on the UK Volvo scene!

Motec seems like an expensive option to me, but if it's what your tuning people are familiar with...

If you're ever in Lincoln, do feel free to pop around for a cuppa and a chat about Volvo tuning!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote