View Single Post
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 19:35   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I have no idea how I can get to work tomorrow now! I once looked at public transport and it worked out I would have to get up at 4am and would get home at 9pm. What do people do about work who have unreliable cars? The 940 has got me to my work and back for 3 plus years without missing a beat.

Edit, I think I could easily fit a fuel pump relay myself. Will the RAC man plug into an engine management diagnosis and give me definite fault I am wondering?
It would be unusual for your Volvo to have a system that could be read by the RAC or anyone without the Volvo code reader at the age of it.

However, i'm having sort of similar troubles with my 760 except it refuses to start if left more than 24 hours unless i pull the fuel pump relay apart and massage the innards. As long as i start it at least once in a 24 hour period, it's ok at the moment but i have ordered a new relay.

It would also be worth checking the Radio Suppression Relay, mounted either near the coolant expansion tank or on the passenger side inner wing, depending on model, when built etc. This is the animal, just to help you find it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-CAR...P/173555697850

Something else worth looking at is the CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor, when you are trying to start the car, does the rev counter needle twitch rhythmically? If so, chances are the CPS is ok.

When you try starting the car, if you release the key, can you hear the fuel pumps whirr? If not then it's either the RSR or the fuel pump relay.
If you suspect the RSR, when you locate it, you'll find it's quite a strange relay compared to the average 4-pin relay. If you look at the socket, you'll see two thin wires and two thick ones, one thick one will be red and the other red/green trace. If you remove the relay from its socket and use a piece of thick wire to jumper between the two terminals for the thick wires and it starts, chances are it is the RSR - there's also the small chance that the fault has naturally cleared as it seems to clear itself if left to cool down.

Also check the fuse for the fuel pump in the fusebox, on my old 740s the fuse for the fuel pump had a habit of getting hot and cutting out when it did. Letting it cool restored normal service until it got hot again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote