View Single Post
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 14:43   #2
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthodgson View Post
Hello all,

It appears I am coming to the end of my patience with our XC90. We've had it for about 6 years - bought it at 117K, now on 145K, 2004 D5 SE. It is loved by the family but hasn't exactly been cheap to run or free of faults.

What has gone wrong from memory:

Handbrake, thermostat housing, cd player (twice), rear wiper, heating thermostat, suspension bushings, limp mode managed by feeding it diesel treatment every couple of months, most of the trim has fallen off, leaks in footwell, clock spring on steering wheel, battery, mice infestation, and I could go on.

I suppose a lot of this is general wear and tear, but it's getting to a point where we might need to move it on. I have spent the last few days exploring the wonderful and colourful rabbit hole that where the bunnies-of-car-buying live; leasing, PCP, bank loans, diesel/petrol, reliability, etc, etc. It's a fun place to go if you don't have much else to do with your life.

Looking for a high driving position, preferably automatic, cheap to run (not fast) and a good fit for a family of 5. 7 seats desirable but not essential. Can't afford a new Volvo - not sure who can, but well done to those that can - what's it like on the other side?

Wash out my mouth, but Skoda and SEAT do some interesting options, but then I read about the major engineering issues they have with engines and the like, and get scared.

So, is my XC90 experience typical or are they better than that? Are XC60s a better bet for a smoother financial ride?

Leasing looks interesting as minimal maintenance and can get dealer to fix if goes wrong.

Many thanks!
Interesting challenge. I'll be in a vaguely similar position in 18 months / two years when it's time to move on my Lexus GS for something that will fit a family of five including three children in child seats. I already own an XC90 which is day-to-day used by my wife but ideally both cars should be up to the task of carrying the whole family.

A lot depends on your budget but in the seven seater SUV segment I'd avoid Land Rover Discoverys on the basis that Land Rovers break down constantly. Many interesting (non-MPV) cars can be found under £10K, including Audi Q7s, the Mercedes-Benz GL class, Mitsubishi Shoguns, Toyota Land Cruisers, Subaru Tribecas, and my current personal favourite, the Jeep Commander, which is essentially a re-bodied Grand Cherokee but with the same Mercedes engine and proven mechanicals.

There are smaller seven seaters such as Mitsubishi Outlander or Nissan Squashqui +2 or whatever it's called.

Best of luck with your search and let us know how you get on.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote