View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 11:16   #16
Volvo_Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Yes they are fitted with an dumb pump. It needs to see the correct amount of fuel flow. The emulators dont send the right signal at the right time.

Are you an installer or just DIY?
Thank you for the lightning fast reply, Classicswede!

No, I am not an installer these days, but used to work in a garage a while back. Well, long habits die hard and I am still doing LPG conversions on all our family vehicles. I did get officially trained in LPG conversions just for insurance purposes for the period between the time when a conversion takes place and the moment when my vehicle get inspected and the appropriate certificate gets issued.

Coming back to the Volvo V8 conversion, I am glad I found this thread with some very useful information as I've purchased S80 V8 recently. I've had a look and there are a few challenges with this vehicle, but they are not critical. Some points are listed below:

1) There seems to be sufficient space for a vaporizer to be placed at a lower level just in front of the air filter. I believe this is the place where an auxiliary engine preheater should be. Not plenty, but there is sufficient amount of space to put either Magic 3 (350bhp) or Prins (335bhp) vaporizer there.

2) I totally agree with you that some installers put the injector nozzles half way up the inlet manifold and this is not ideal at all. The problem with this engine is that one can insert the nozzles very close to the head(s), however, connecting them to the injector rails becomes virtually impossible. The front bank is ok because there are openings between the individual inlet ducts, BUT the rear bank does not have these openings and, therefore, the connecting hoses will be very long for the rear bank, because they will have to be fed through the LH side of the engine. This is not acceptable.

One possible solution to this problem would be the placement of the individual LPG injectors in the direct proximity of the petrol injectors i.e. underneath of the upper part of the inlet manifold. There is very limited space there and I think the only injectors that can fit there in almost vertical upright position are the magic injectors because they have got the feed inlet from the side and not from the top.

Do you happen to know any other individual injectors that have a very good performance regardless of their orientation? It would be great if the lpg injectors could be placed horizontally.

Another question that I have is whether you know or not about any injectors that can be mounted directly onto the manifold without a separate nozzle and a hose that elongate the whole assembly quite a bit? I know that AG and Autogas Italia used to make them in the past 5-7 years ago but I could not find anything of that kind in the market these days.

I would be very grateful if you could suggest a solution to the high pressure issue in the petrol line.

Million thanks in advance,
Cheers
Volvo_Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_Grip For This Useful Post: