View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 17:56   #6
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vykkagur View Post
1986. I remember when and where. It was driven by a salesman (it figures).

I missed that thread completely. I should have been more clever when I ran my search. I specified B30 and M47, forgetting that the B20 would use the same bellhousing (I think?) and that there had been a lot more of them on the road. However, like that poster I can't use the Laycock overdrive, and the M40 doesn't have much of a ratio spread, only going down to 3.13:1. The M47 goes from 4.03:1 up to 0.82:1 in 5th. The T5 isn't much better either, starting at 2.93:1, although it does have overdrive 5th. The biggest problem with the T5 is that it's almost obscenely long, nearly 32". I can't accommodate that length (an NP435 out of a 3-ton truck is only half as long!) Plus a 240 donor car would offer me numerous other spares I could use on my Volvo; a T5 donor car will leave me an ugly pile of Ford junk that I'd probably have to send to the scrapyard.

More of life's lemons. Sigh.

Appreciate your help 142Guy, thanks.
The B20 / M45 bellhousing as used in the 240 would actually be fairly rare. The B20 was only used in the very first 240s before Volvo built the B21 engine. In North America I think that was only the 1975 model year; but, some early 1976 models might have a B20. A lot of those cars were probably equipped with automatic transmissions making the B20 / M45 bellhousing uncommon.

The T5 is available with a whole bunch of different ratios. There are also different versions of the box depending on the applications. There were versions of the T5 that were 4 cylinder specific with higher ratios. The ratio mix you describe I think is the common ratio for the Ford spec T5 for V8 Mustangs. I think Ford used a T5 version behind the 2.3 l Lima engine Mustangs which had a 3.9ish first gear and I think first gear ratios up to around 4.10 were available.

The T5s ended up in lots of applications and it is moderately easy to find bare ones for sale because they are often the only useable thing left from the vehicle that they were originally in. Aftermarket parts support for most of the T5 variants is strong.

That said, if the T5 or an M410 / M46 won't fit because of length, then the discussion is academic. If there is a length constraint, I assume that this is not going into a 164? If you want to chase the M47 you had better start your search for the illusive B20 /M45 bell housing.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Aug 8th, 2021 at 17:58.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote