Thread: Suspension: - Broken Subframe Bolt
View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 05:00   #49
shoebox

I have this unfortunate issue. I’m curious to find out who had this issue and was able to successfully get out a broken subframe bolt. Here and another forum I have read that those that have attempted themselves to drill out wound up drilling into the threads. I’m wondering if I followed certain steps it would secure me success even though I have zero experience with using a drill. I was thinking of using a drill guide like this which I don’t think they used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3diRPXWkx68

Or am I being naive to think this and to just take it to a pro if a job like this involves experience which I greatly lack

Here are some quotes that I find discouraging:

JamesG1980 said: “many hours spent sorting that out and not something i'd ever want to repeat.”

gmonag said: “ Aaaargh - nightmare! There are pros out there that will travel to you and remove the bolt. You might want to consider using them before you make the job worse or even impossible “

dstc said: “I don't like drilling out bolts, too messy, not enough space, working on your back and you can very easily get it wrong.”

Ollyd said: He actually said wouldn't do it if I got it on his ramps as he knows what a pig of a job it is. Definitely not worth doing this job unless sub frame absolutely has to come off. “
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote