View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 20:08   #1
BiggyG

Default Picky Differences Between Momentum and Inscription

Forum Post

My XC90 ‘66’ plate MY2017 Inscription went in today to have the Volvo OnCall and Start Stop looked at as neither have worked since I bought it a few weeks ago. After a bit of back and forth I managed to negotiate a XC90 courtesy car while they have mine. They delivered me a ‘67’ MY2018 Momentum which had quite a few differences to mine which I thought I would share for anyone considering one and not sure on the differences in trim levels.

Exterior
Inscription comes with the silver effect grill and chrome effect door trim with ‘Inscription’ in them. It also gets a square boot badge.
On the Momentum, At the back there is a silver effect “diffuser” which is quite big, and round chrome exhaust pipes. The Inscription gets wide angular ones and a much smaller chrome effect “diffuser”
I’ve noticed in the dark on the Momentum the lack of door handle lights, and illuminated door sills, which make my Inscription look really smart.

The wheels are smaller diameter with fewer chunkier spokes, although similar in design.

Interior
On the inside, it’s got the normal leather, compared to my Inscription’s Nappa Soft Leather. I’ve got to say when I was looking to buy, I wasn’t bothered by this, but having had it for a few weeks, the normal leather feels really rough and cheap. The whole dash also feels really cheap as it is plastic rather than leather. The brushed steel effect trim looks and feels plastic, compared to the metal mesh on mine. Again, I probably wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been sat in the Inscription for a few weeks.
The good thing is though that there is no writing in the seats. I have no idea why a Volvo felt the need to write Inscription everywhere all over mine.
The Momentum hasn’t had the 12” driver display upgrade. It really frustrates me that Volvo offer the smaller one, it looks rubbish, info is cramped, and it can’t honestly cost that much more for the 12”. Another revenue stream I guess.

The MY2018 also has a different ignition nob, turn right to both start and stop, while mine is turn left to stop, right to start. The Momentum also has a plastic key, Inscription gets leather, although both of mine are bashed and broken.

The Momentum seemed to be missing the Individual drive mode, but it’s possible this is turned off somewhere.

Options
Both cars have 360 cameras, and I couldn’t live without them. The loaner has front and side parking sensors which are really good. I had them on my Jag and miss them on my XC90. It also has ParkIn/Out, which I haven’t tried yet.

The loaner has the panoramic sunroof, and contrary to what most people have said in the thread on this, I don’t rate it. My two year old wasn’t fussed. The blind that comes over electrically is cool, but it is thin, and street lights still come through. I found in normal light I couldn’t notice it was there, and so I guess the only reason to have it is for slightly older kids. But I imagine the novelty wears off.

The loaner is lacking the family pack and my two year old missed his integrated window blind this morning in the bright sun. Incidentally, It would be really cool if those were electric too, as he likes it down, but I have had to pull over in the past to put it up as he shouts “No sun - go away!”

The Momentum is also lacking the passenger seat memory and the ability to move the passenger seat from the driver controls which my Inscription has, and is useful when the boy is kicking the back of the seat.

That’s about all I’ve noticed, there may be other differences, let me know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggyG For This Useful Post: