View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 08:41   #5
Deman77
Master Member

I think the point OP makes is that despite definitely being an upper end car xc90 can be made to feel and look really cheap. I agree. I don’t think it’s as simple as just rejecting momentum or picking up an inscription.
You could spec just about everything you described in Momentum, though now they won’t let you have walnut which is by far the best inserts (I only haven’t seen the birch in real life). This is what I did as some things in inscription we couldn’t unspec. All the chrome outside looks shouty against dark paint and we didn’t want light paint - we found dark wheels on black momentum looked a lot more understated. Wife absolutely hated the leather dash and window sills and to be fair in early models those looked pretty cheap. I wanted “cheap” leather on seats for better wear with kids as real leather needs looking after. I wanted momentum seats as cushions extensions on other seats are uncomfortable for my wife who is short. The downside of course was 3-4K extra in options to get things like seat memory, driving modes, lighting pack, larger wheels and driver display. I assure you it feels better inside than most inscriptions especially after their seats get worn stained and scuffed. I concede that well looked after inscription will look the best inside.
It really does feel cheap in the low specced xc90 with cheap inserts. It really doesn’t need to be but they have to make some look cheap to justify charging more for the ones that look good. Of course none of the options are worth anything in trade in so my momentum with 12k worth of options has lost 12k more in depreciation for part ex than a cheap spec - may be not so bad if I try to sell private. Having said that I’ve had 4-5 loaners over the last 2.5 years which usually didn’t have one thing or another and I missed them.
When I shopped recently and nearly came to buying it would have had to be an inscription as I could not get the look I wanted with the momentum any more. Now inscription leather has had durability improvement and dash is synthetic whilst better looking so at least some of my negatives are rectified. Cushion extensions are also now acceptable. I also won’t mind the chrome on dark paint as there are lots of new xc90s around so it wouldn’t draw attention.