View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 12:46   #33
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
as motoring goes you there's such varied approaches to oil and oil changes , theres the " fear factor " side, whereby they follow manufacturers recomended spec. to the letter , with dire results if you dont heed to them, to the other end of the spectrum those who put their choice of oils in , because theyre not being " conned " by the oil companies, my old boss, the works engineer, never had his oil or filter changed, just topped up ! , I wished I'd asked his reasoning, but at the time I just thought he was stupid, mind you he never had any problems, personally I love to hear personal experiences both good and bad on the subject of oil and relability , oh for the days when you just threw in a gallon of duckhams 20w50 !
dave
I've always been a "change oil and filter regularly" but make sure the oil is hot and you leave the car for half an hour so it can drain out. I've never had an engine fail because of oil problems (well, not since I ran the big ends on an Austin A30 thrashing it up the newly opened M1)

Now, I wonder just how good engines and oils are because nothing ever seems to fail and, from what I hear, many dealers suck the stuff out rather than open the drain plug. What does that leave behind?

I'm more interested in current gear box lubrication, where many are "lubricated for life" and often seem designed to deter anybody, professional or amateur from even getting at look at the level and condition of the oil
961 is offline   Reply With Quote