View Single Post
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 12:15   #8
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You can’t fit Xenon headlights unfortunately, the guts are missing to operate the alignment systems (post 2007 MY had active bending lights) and the electrical switching method which is programmed into the CEM at manufacture is different so at best will generate dashboard messages and error codes, if they work at all without flickering.

Some of the better H7 retro fit HID kits do work well but they are not legal and an MOT fail.

Your best option is upgraded halogen bulbs such as Osram Nightbreaker Umlimited. Keep spares in the car though as they only last about 50% of the life of a normal lamp.

You should aim to change the gearbox oil around every 50-70k for normal driving, every 36k if you do heavy towing. There is no doubt about that, you will notice smoother changes and other improvements, it prolongs the life of the gearbox in most cases. It’s easy to do at home as a series of sump dumps, plenty of info on here as to how to do that and where to get the oil at reasonable cost (not Halfords.....). Other manufacturers that use the same gearbox schedule fluid changes - it’s used in some Jaguar, Land Rover, Vauxhall, Saab and even the BMW I8.

With regards to an all season tyre, I would say the Cross Climates are probably the highest regarded all season tyre by members on hear and you will notice improvements on the EcoContacts which last a long time but few other positives.

Welcome and enjoy!
Thank you again for sharing all your knowledge, also during my quest !

Although I had hoped just retrofitting a pair of adaptive Xenon headlights from another XC90 would have solved the trick, experiences like yours make this forum so valuable as it appears the solution of someone as ignorant as me could only result in money wasted. What is a CEM ?

I will never do any towing but even then I feel changing the oil would be just a precaution. I read in a thread somewhere to get the Aisin Warner oil (is it a Aisin Warner or ZF gearbox ? ) and your suggestion about the sump dumps sounds like the best solution yet I live near to the seaside in the city center of Brighton so location is not ideal and besides, I need someone to give me directions on how to do this. Purchasing the right oil through eBay is easy, knowing how to do this under supervision is essential. My knowledge stretches only to financial governance and compliance :-(

Will check the thread on the EcoContacts and might use them as summer tyres if they have got enough life in them but still need the AllSeasons or winter tyres for my gallivanting in Germany and the Alps where winter tyres are mandatory ...... As above mentioned, I have mixed experiences with my 1st gen Michelin Cross Climates on my XC70 .... I read somewhere on Odysseus thread that someone had a good experience with Yokohama. Pirellis were not performing well in terms of endurance and economy and I am leaning towards either Michelin, Goodyear or Continental for their all seasons tyres ...

Was just wondering, are you able to tell me what the VIDA has in terms of functions and if someone as ignorant as me who wants to know more about the diagnostics of its car, has any use to own one ?

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote