View Single Post
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 22:50   #26
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
That 12.5 litre figure in the handbook is a misprint, I have it in mine and found the same problem, having baught 6 litres of Volvo coolent, ended up taking 2 back for a refund as no matter how hard I shook it the level just would not drtop enough to get anymore in.
Turned out the dealer was surprised I wanted 6 litres but assumed I was doing 2 cars.

If you added neat antifreeze then any water in the system is now 50/50 mix with the 4 litres you put in.

Paul.
Now that is interesting !
Various sources of information stated 12.5 litres, but I think people tend to pick up information from one another, and before you know it, everyone is saying the same thing (I'm possibly guilty of this too !).

Well, until I hear from someone official, e.g. someone at the Volvo factory, I'll have to make my own calculations [assumptions]:

Engine fully flushed through 5 times with water and driven. As much coolant drained as possible by removing main lower hose to radiator. By now, I've poured in about 4.4 litres of undiluted antifreeze coolant solution. So this could suggest the overall capacity, uncluding top-up reservoir, is about 9 litres.

Does anyone know if the fluid in the top-up reservoir gets circulated, or does it remain in place until there is a loss of fluid somewhere in the main coolant circuit ?