View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 18:36   #82
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hi Army, I have no clue about the clips. Did they try to balance the propshaft?
Maybe something connected to a rallye speedo?
Your 544 seems healthy

good luck, Kay
Yep the idea is to change the balance of the propshaft by adding a bit of weight.

It is a pain in the backside to try and do this - it is possible to spend more time adjusting the clip positions and test driving the results than it would be to fix the problem properly.

This propshaft design is a bit of a strange one. The first universal joint (UJ) next to the gearbox isn´t going to move too much because of the centre propshaft bearing holding it straight. This does induce Brinelling - a notchy feel to the joint. As the centre propshaft bearing wears the notchiness of the first UJ will probably feel like vibration - I guess that´s why whoever added some weight to the propshaft to try and make it behave differently...

...only problem is they´ve added weight / changed the dynamics of the system at a part that doesn´t seem to have anything wrong with it!

#########

I´m just going to replace the three universal joints and the centre bearing and perhaps check the static balance of the shaft if I can rig up some bearings to support the ends (this probably won´t happen as I´m pushed for time with this project - so I´m more likely going to be refitting it and hoping for the best)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote