View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:48   #593
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
As I said, the drift is nothing fancy but must be accurate to get the best force on the bush itself. SVO1442. As you have one out you may be able to drift the other one out in the opposite direction using the jaws of a vice as support. Install with nut, bolt and washers?
Well thanks for posting that picture - one thing it does is clear up the question I had in my head about how long the Volvo special tool is => Too long and wide to be pushed from the inside of the gap of the casting.

The bushing I've managed to remove was really stuck in there - the gauge on the hydraulic press showed about 4 tons before it broke loose. In that situation I think it is best to be cautious and not push from the outside in - to make sure that all important gap in the casting stays as it should.

I plan to modify the old king pin by welding a nut onto it to make an installation tool for the new bushings. I'm going to have to roughly turn the diameter to a smaller size. I reckon I can do this in a botchy hand tool way that would be dreadful for real world use but as an installation guide it should be fine: I have to make the old king pin diameter smaller by about half a mm so it doesn't knacker the new bushings during installation.

To be continued.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote