View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 21:07   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benja View Post
Hi, just a quick scan for opinions:

2001 V70 2.4T 130K

Been pulling to left under normal driving conditions (not braking etc.)

had a mechanic friend have a look while servicing it and he sent it to a garage to have a look, they said front wheel tracking is fine, wishbone bushes seem worn and tyres worn on the inside. possible play in the steering rack etc.

- advise changing wishbones as a starting point

after a read on here i tended to agree.

I have a garage I use, so as my friend doesn't like doing serious work on modern cars I sent it to there for their opinion, expecting the same.

- advise change tyres first to see if that makes a difference, wishbones a bit worn but probably not causing pulling.

I just cant see tyres making that much difference, the pulling is definite and I constantly have to hold the wheel straight.

My hunch has been wishbones especially since reading on here.

Any ideas? can tyres cause this?

Cheers

Ben
you should have had a 4 wheel align that's how cars have been for the last 20 years or so , the front should never be adjusted on it's own it needs to be centred with the rear axle this then also centralises the steering wheel mechanically . ..
Also tyres can cause pull , even new ones .. I would swap the 2 front wheels over and see how it alters , then get a 4 wheel align as long as the front wishbone bushes are not flopping around .

Wear on inner edges is usually down to running low tyre pressures if inner edges on both sides are worn ..