View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 12:08   #145
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Ah rats, well at least I know now that the grounds are good!

The pedal took 3-4 pushes to get hard. It didn't get completely hard. You could still push the pedal down a little way, but the pedal was noticeably a lot harder.

The car has actually been running better over the last couple of days - the gremlin is having a rest! I ran the tank quite low when running the injection the cleaner and the problems as the fuel got lower. Once I reached about half a tank full then I had to hold the accelerator whilst starting - this hadn't happened for a while although the engine had run rough sometimes.

Could there be old fuel at the bottom of the tank causing problems? Over the last couple of years I have been filling up at around half a tank because I don't trust the fuel guage.
There's a very high chance there is water at the bottom of the tank. This will cause the problems you've got but i thought i had suggested a long time ago adding meths to the petrol tank. If it's down to 1/4 tank, add 2L of meths, if it's 1/2 a tank, add 4L of meths. Toolstation is about the best on price for meths :

https://www.toolstation.com/methylated-spirit/p99550

It will form an emulsion with the water and mix with the petrol allowing the water to be burned off. Ideally it needs to be in about 10% concentration meths:fuel so 2L of meths will treat 18L of fuel and so on. Any more is a waste, any less doesn't work properly.
However it's better to overdose than underdose.

Reminds me in fact, i need to do both of my beasts!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: