View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 21:17   #13
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I've FINALLY made time to make a start on proper work on this car. I would like to get it up and running for Swedish Day in a few weeks.

We collected the car on a trailer and took it up to my friend's workshop located in the middle of nowhere down here in Devon.

Up on the ramp, we had a good look around, poking here and there finding nothing more than the hole under the driver's seat that I already knew about. Apart from the non-working horn, sorting out a couple little electrical issues and other things including rhd headlights, the main job in hand was dealing with brakes. So we went about getting the wheels off to find, with no surprise the calipers seized and perished rubber. As well, the servo is hissing and I'm going to change all the brake lines. Brake back plates too need to be replaced.

Sadly though, we came across what is probably the reason the car was laid up all those years ago and it's a very weird one seeing as the rest of the car is pretty solid: the subframe is completely rusted around the spring housing. Like, completely rusted.

Seeing as you're not allowed to weld suspension components - I'm sure you could get away with it is it wasn't so bad - the only option is to remove the whole lot and replace it!

I doubt at this stage I'll be taking this one to Swedish Day!

Anyway, I got straight on the phone to our man Triple-S who reckons he's got one down the road near Chichester...
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: