Thread: V70 Suspension: - Bilstein B8 front struts
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 21:08   #11
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Here's my take when it comes to replacement shock absorbers. If you want the best ride, go with genuine for the shock absorbers and the wishbones. This combination is the only way to get a sense of how were these cars feeling when they left the factory 15 years ago. Nothing will replace the feeling of a genuine Volvo strut coupled with a genuine Volvo wishbone. There are people who say the Super Touring is the exact replacement for genuine, this could not be further away from the truth. On poor pavement the Super Touring don't last, loose rebound and start leaking. The only close replacement for genuine struts is Boge. Lemforder wishbones are also good, but not the same damping feeling as a Volvo wishbone. Lemforder put their brand bushes, while Volvo has Boge bushes. Because the wishbone has an importand damping role, along with the strut.

So if budget is not a problem go genuine with the struts. You will notice that 'Volvo' feeling. Plus, these parts are available online a lower prices that what the main dealer is selling them.
I agree with your Super Touring comment; they were utter crap and nowhere near as good as the factory dampers. The trouble is, I didn't like the factor dampers either, finding them wooden and clumsy as described above. The B4s are the best all round dampers I've had fitted, with comfort the standard struts can't hold a candle to yet still being reasonably taught - but I was disappointed how quickly they became baggy.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote