View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 11:06   #76
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
So I went for another XC90 T8 test drive yesterday.
First, I put it to PURE mode (just electricity) and managed to cruise through the whole Luxembourg City with consumption 1.9l/100km (148mpg). Nice quiet ride, even traffic jams were pleasent. Then I switched to HYBRID mode, when I hit the highway and after few kms some country roads. I think the battery ran out after about 50km with an overall consumption 6.6 (43mpg), which is nice but I was barely using any of the full potential of 400hp.
Then I did another 50km with a mix of highway and country roads (but mostly highway), already only on fuel, with a consumption 10.3 (27mpg). I was already driving less carefully, trying to have more fun.
Overall 100km, fuel 8.8 (32mpg).

I have mixed feelings. As much as I was impressed with the city part, when using just electricity, I found it quite tiring/annoying to keep constantly checking the amount of remaining km on battery. Also then in hybrid mode. When the battery was empty, I finally started to enjoy the driving itself, the road, the car...Anyway, I think I could enjoy driving in my city just on electricity, no noise, no smell. Now I have to decide if I want to be constantly controlling myself how I drive, so I do not waste batteries quickly, etc. With diesels, you can drive any way you want, and the consumption would not change much.
There is a hold button and a charge button, using hold is actually quite economical, as you pull away using battery and then the engine cuts in, and when you come off the throttle the engine cuts out, even on the motorway. The engine cutting in and out is seamless, sometimes you do not even know it has cut out or is running.

I find things become a 2nd nature after a while, so the little things that you may worry you now, may not later on.

At the end of the day it is your choice, and only you know who you want to drive, and the routes you drive to warrant the expense, and is it worth the cost of spending more to gain so much in my view.

I Know mine is an XC60 T8, so I guess mpg will be better for me, but I am really impressed the returns I get for how I drive, for the most part way quicker then anyone else on the road, Every journey I make I over take, and generally no one overtakes me, especially on the motorways. It is just nice to have so much power at your hands, on top of such a smooth quiet relaxing ride when you need it to be.