View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 17:35   #19
irpearce

Thumbs up Swirl arm thanks

I got the dreaded engine system urgent message yesterday and thanks to this forum especially bic7 it is now fixed. My experience-
I found a split pin the same diameter as the hole left in the arm after the ball had broken off. I put it in a vice and, using a hammer, I flattened the head so that it would not foul the head casting. I heated it and easily passed it through the engine lever. I attached the arm, bent over the split pin and trimmed the ends with a pair of wire cutters. That took about 5 mins.
I made bic7's end stop with an elongated mount hole. I mounted it and nipped the screw up. I then operated motor without the swirl arm attached(every 5th engine stop) and allowed it to nudge the motor lever to push the end stop. I backed it off a tad and tightened it and attached the arm. This took about 10 mins. Job done.
Isn't it disgraceful that the best the mighty Volvo can do is offer a £700 repair when someone like bic7 can apply a bit of logic and see what is going wrong. There is very little resistance when the arm operates so it is obvious that something else is applying excessive force - the motor when it calibrates.
I have a code reader and this problem does not show a code. From what I read the message will go away after a few days of operating
irpearce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to irpearce For This Useful Post: