View Single Post
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:55   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
I do have a Haynes, but it's in the car down the road! Quite definitely a live axle then going by those pictures.

I wanted to use EP 75W90 GL5 fully synthetic, but ended up getting EP 80W90 GL5 semi-synthetic as that's the closest my local motor factors had last Saturday morning, and as I was worried about the noise I wanted it done rather than order online and wait.

Not dream home, we've gone for something cheap-ish with a big garden in a village, will be great to get out of town. We're currently in a new housing estate and whilst the house is nice and everything has a warranty, there is very limited parking and far too many neighbours in close proximity for my liking! We're lucky enough to be able to keep the current house and rent it out, plan is to keep it as a pension income, although i'm 28 so that's a fair way in the future!

It is a B200E, is that a good thing? I had a look on the engine plate as I was curious to know which engine it was. The very handy pdf on here puts it at 121bhp with peak torque at 4800rpm! Not very useful.

I'll need a battery retaining plate etc at some point then. It's secure enouigh for now, but goodness knows how it passed an MOT with it strapped on like this, surely it can't be safe in the eyes of an MOT man.

I'll investigate the echaust manifold, luckily it's quite accessible on this car. The rest of the exhaust system is dubious anyway, and the extension that is used for the extended body is blowing, and maybe the pipes either side of it too (front silencer and middle).

Thanks Dave for all your advice
If it's a live axle it makes life easier! Here' are the springs and shocks you'll need for the "back to normal" conversion :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-with-...from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...from=R40&rt=nc

Will give you a nice, smooth standard ride at the standard ride height.

Those are also the best prices i found on fleabay, about double what i paid for mine but mine were listed as NOS and the seller is no longer registered on ebay so i guess he was closing down when i got mine.

You've actually got the better oil for your axle - don't forget this car has its origins some 30 years before it was registered and not much changed in engineering terms - granted they tipped the engine over about 20 degrees and the head sprouted an OHC arrangement but it's not wildly different to the red blocks in the older Amazons/140 series etc. Likewise for the back axle.

Good news on the house - both of them! Probably a better long-term idea than stretching yourself for a dream house that may have turned to a nightmare!

There's nowt wrong with the B200E, that fact it is the B200E means Volvo have worked a bit of magic on it to give improved power and torque over the previous generation (B20), the downside is that the dizzy cap and rotor arm are now only shared with a Porsche model (924 i think) so they are expensive. A small price to pay in the long term and also the HT leads are slightly dearer than the older variety, not by much though.

Have you invested in a set of feeler gauges yet? You'll need them for setting the plug gaps as they should be 0.7mm on this engine.

I'm not sure of the gearing/final drive on yours but peak torque at 4800rpm isn't bad - the torque curve is quite flat if memory serves so ideally suited to an autobox.

Once upon a time, batteries were secured by a rubber strap and there are still cars around like that - as long as the battery can't move it's not a major problem. However i would suggest finding and fitting the correct battery retaining plate and bolt. A number of options here, Volvo for a brand new one but will probably be a Classic Part so will have to come from Sweden, fine if you don't mind waiting. Also "tofufi" (Jim) on here recently broke a 760 TDi and probably has the battery retaining plate/clamp available. You'll have to get a few more posts before you can PM him though! If it's any help i can ask him if he has that part available.

Most of the exhaust parts are readily available and if you know where to look, fairly cheaply as well. I'm guessing yours is on a cahngeover year so if you do have a look at the various parts of the exhaust, try to take as many photos as possible - it will help identify which original type system you have and narrow down the choice for the extension piece.

I'd hazard a guess this is the exhaust system you have with an extension in there somewhere :

If you're lucky, the extension is simply a straight piece of pipe added in - the good news is the longer pipe will improve low down torque!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote