View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 18:05   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
We had a bit of a discussion in The Lounge regarding disabled badges I seem to remember, and I get really pee'd off with the increasing numbers of holders, who aren't actually 'disabled ' but are simply old or fat or both.

I see them every day, trotting off to the shops whilst I get my walker or mobility scooter out of the car, and genuine wheelchair users have to chase around looking for a space - not the abuser's fault, it is the lazy doctors and the even lazier local authorities.

It's no wonder fit people get annoyed.
Hi Mike

I am surprised at your comments.

Being old can in itself can be a reason for disability, as can being fat. Being fat can be a side effect of a condition/medication.

Regards your second paragraph, and obviously setting aside the fit and able people who wrongly use a disabled space/badge, it must be noted that there are a multitude of conditions, whereby a person is 'disabled' yet not in a wheelchair. The condition is 'invisible'.

I therefore feel that what you write reinforces the incorrectly held view of ''no wheelchair - therefore not disabled''. Disabled badges are issued to people for a variety of reasons, not all of whom require a wheelchair.

By way of a single simple clear example a person with a heart condition may on the face of it appear to the casual observer to be 'fit and healthy' yet unable to walk any reasonable distance without adverse efect.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: