View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 23:01   #16
Mike 700
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Mike

I am surprised at your comments.

Being old can in itself can be a reason for disability, as can being fat. Being fat can be a side effect of a condition/medication.

Regards your second paragraph, and obviously setting aside the fit and able people who wrongly use a disabled space/badge, it must be noted that there are a multitude of conditions, whereby a person is 'disabled' yet not in a wheelchair. The condition is 'invisible'.

I therefore feel that what you write reinforces the incorrectly held view of ''no wheelchair - therefore not disabled''. Disabled badges are issued to people for a variety of reasons, not all of whom require a wheelchair.

By way of a single simple clear example a person with a heart condition may on the face of it appear to the casual observer to be 'fit and healthy' yet unable to walk any reasonable distance without adverse efect.

Regards

Phil,

I do appreciate & accept that there can be & indeed are hidden illnesses, and also that some overweight people have no control over their condition, but these are the exceptions, btw being old is not a disability.

The people I am talking about are those who jump in & out of their cars trot off to the shops, come back carrying bags of goodies,much more than I can carry now, *whilst others, walking aids visible or not, are left struggling.

I took little notice until I became disabled myself, so for non - disabled people it is easy to miss what *is actually going on, and the abuse of the Blue Badge Scheme.

Some examples of eligibility :

1.*you have a permanent or substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult
2. you are a driver and have severe upper limb disabilities
3. you are applying on behalf of a child over two with a permanent or substantial disability which means they can’t walk or find walking very difficult
4. you are applying on behalf of a child under three with a medical condition that requires them to be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment or transporting bulky medical equipment.

Others are :

Automatic acceptance ,

1. you are registered as blind/severely sight impaired
2. you receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
3. you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
4.you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and you scored at least 8 points in relation to the ‘moving around’ activity in the PIP assessment, or least 12 points in the mobility activity for planning and following journeys
5. you have been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8). You have also been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult
6. you receive a government grant towards your own vehicle.

These are all based on mobility except for no 3, which can cover a multitude of things, but I can't see that the DLA higher mobility rate would be awarded simply for being old or fat, and the people I am writing about clearly are mobile.

Mike
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike 700 For This Useful Post: