View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 23:59   #18
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Hello ShadeTek, Please tell me if I got this right. When prepping for a cam belt change you rotate the engine's crank pulley clockwise 1/4 turn past the point when the marks align. Then you turn it backwards (anti-clockwise) to where the marks align. My question to you is: What went wrong? I was under the impression this procedure set the VVT solenoid to a mechanical zero. Thanks for answering. Kira
What I used to do on my 850 was line up the crank mark, which should then have both the cam marks lined up. I would then CUT the belt off, scary point of no return moment, remove it then squeeze the new belt on, keep the belt tight from the crank up round the intake cam and then onto the exhaust cam trying not to move anything. Once it was all lined up and the belt was in place, I would pull the pin on the belt tensioner. Turn the crank by hand a few times and if nothing clunked, I was half-way there.

I used this same technique on the V70 VVT. I lined the cams up with the timing mark, scored the crank pully with a screwdriver, in line with the inner wing so I could re-aligne it in case it moved, I couldn't see the crank mark as I left the aux pully on and squeezed the belt up round the back of it around the three alloy lugs, kept the belt tight up the front to the intake cam only to find the cam had moved!...EEEK. This is when my anxiety started. The intake cam is very easy to move anti-clock-wise as it is on a dog-lock mechanism, like the pedals of a bike if you know what I mean? I re-aligned the cam by turning it clockwise again and it lined up. The exhaust cam also moved fairly easy and I had to re-aligne it too. I would recommend tie-wrapping the cams together at their nearest point to stop them moving.

In answer to your question, do you turn it clockwise then anti-clockwise, I would say no. There is no mention of this in the Haynes manual either. The way the belt came off the intake cam was locked into the clockwise postion so it hit a stop position and could go no further without meeting some resistance. So you would have to re-do your set up if you did it that way. I may be wrong and there is a further adjustment I don't know about, but it worked so far for me although my V70 has not been taken for a good drive yet as it is not road legal. It does get up to temperature on the drive with no dash errors or bent valves. Let me know how you get on Kira.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 00:17.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote