Thread: OE Radio help.
View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 12:01   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish brick View Post
Right!

So there’s no point digging out the CD player from the loft then as it won’t plug in to the cars wiring harness. I didn’t intend to fit it permanently as it’s a modern unit - and thus is too ugly to fit in my old dashboard!

I think the only option is to stick to oe parts? But how do you know if any of it works?
I could go on eBay and buy new speakers - presumably any that physically fit will be ok?
A Volvo head unit - completely unknown 30+ years old and probably won’t come with a code.
Then comes the issue of the amp! - again, 30+ years old and completely unknown if it’s any good or not or even if I need it or not!

I’m half tempted to forget about this and just fit everything back in so it looks good but will never work!
It doesn’t help that I know nothing about radios or ice installation! I’ve never bothered with it beyond standard fitment!
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...45#post2564145

Post #45 on that thread - he has a CR-906 with code from a car he's breaking. Almost certainly got the amp as well if you can't find yours. I'm not sure on the connections, whether they'll be compatible but would think so. I'm not even sure the 906 needs an amp but as he's got the car there he can look for you.

As for speakers, 13cm (5.25") speakers fit straight in. Because of the spacing of the pegs on the push-fit grilles, adaptor plates are sometimes a good idea although you can get round that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...5/290388292676

For the sake of a tenner, life is much easier though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: