View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 11:45   #1
casperlaurence

Default Factory built P2 bi-fuel models tank research

Hello everyone,

Excellent to have a dedicated forum for the factory built bi-fuel models and aftermarket LPG conversions.

I'm researching these models at the moment and would be grateful for any replies and info.

I understand Volvo offered both LPG and CNG bi-fuel models of the X40 and P2 S60, V70 and S80. No XC90 as presumably the spare wheel under the floor was a problem. I see it was a Necam system used for both.

I've found the following image on Volvo's media site of a CNG S80 plus the diagrams I've also copied below.

It seems that the bi-fuel models have a different boot floor so as to permit the installation of the large CNG tank or the single LPG tank?

The pic of the chap standing under the car near the CNG tank is from a German magazine article about these cars and the need to replace the CNG tanks at 15 years (Mk1 S/V70 CNG bi-fuels), 15 years for the early P2 CNG models and thereafter it was 20 years.

1) Would anyone have a photo they could get or share of the equivalent petrol tank and backwards for a factory bi-fuel LPG please?

Looking for a picture similar to the one below (not a volvo in this example)

2) LPG models share the same bodyshell i.e. same boot floor amendment as the CNG version ( I guess so from a cost point of view and since these were low volume production volumes.

3) I can see the CNG version has a smaller petrol tank and two steel CNG tanks in the space vacated ahead of the smaller petrol tank. For the LPG versions, they also have a smaller petrol tank? What is installed in the location ahead of the smaller petrol tank? Anything?

I'm looking for a bi-fuel V70 as either LPG or CNG if anyone knows of one for sale?

I appreciate the CNG versions are quite rare in the UK but I understand Volvo UK imported a few RHD bi-fuel CNG demonstrator cars but the lack of infrastructure at the time for CNG (true even now) prevented a wide uptake.

I believe British Gas may have had a fleet of CNG Volvo's as well though too.

Looking forward to hearing from you

kind regards

Official Volvo pics from a press release

casperlaurence is offline   Reply With Quote