Thread: General: 140: - Purchasing a 144
View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 15:20   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

A 21 year old student. I have some residual memories of that, one being that 'skint' was the common condition. The other that graduate work did not leave much time for non academic stuff such as car repair.

I expect that if you do a poll of forum members, you will find that the vast majority of vintage owners have a daily driver which is there for when they need to get there. Vintage car fettling is best reserved for individuals who are not skint, need a hobby to fill some spare time and have other means of dependable transportation. As Burdekin has pointed out, 140s like all cars of that vintage rust (generally a lot of it) and sheet metal repair and paint work is very expensive if you can't do it yourself. For reference, I did a complete rotisserie resto on my 1971 142 E and I stopped keeping track of the costs when they hit about £20k.

If you need reliable transportation, a used Toyota Yaris or something similar is your ticket. After you have graduated and have pots of money and spare time you can go out and shop around for a rusty 140 to indulge yourself.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: