Thread: General: 140: - Purchasing a 144
View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 17:45   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Having owned and run several 144s and 145s in period 'Doocey' (my first ever Volvo was a 145E bought on a whim in 1984 ), I have to agree with both 'Burdekin' and '142 Guy'. The youngest 1 - series car will now be fast approaching it's 50th birthday and as said, is not now a car for the feint hearted.

It is great that a young person like you has a yen for old Volvos and I feel that we should be encouraging your enthusiasm and not pouring cold water on it. I think that the best way I can do that is by redirecting you towards another 7 - series car, which you clearly know well and have experience of.

Alternatively, you might also consider a mid to late 2-series car. Much of the 1-series was carried over to the 2-series cars and in many respects they have a not dissimilar 'feel' to them. You can still find reasonable examples around at sensible money if you are patient and fettle them economically if you have the necessary skills and equipment.

Have a look at Alan's (Othen) excellent thread on the 'Royal Barge', a 244 that he purchased two years ago for, I think, £2.5K, and did exactly that, as an example of what I mean and can be achieved. Alan now has a superb example of the marque that he can happily use every day and could also easily sell for twice what he paid for it if he ever wanted to.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 9th, 2022 at 17:58. Reason: Word duplication
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: