Thread: General: 140: - Purchasing a 144
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 18:47   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Fully endorse all of the above, Alan.

I also agree that the 144 in question does look a nice example, but we cannot see what is 'under the skin', and it is as you say a 50 year old motor car.

It is also an automatic - BW35, I think - which is a 3 - speed, non-overdrive unit. It will also have the 1986 cc single carb motor, and from experience, that combination struggles to pull the heavy body around with any degree of aplomb.

I speak from having owned several 1-series cars in period, including manual, MOD and auto, carburettor and injection variants. Today, I would naturally favour an auto but - and I appreciate that the pool of available cars has diminished and choice is therefore limited - I would strongly recommend 'Doocey' to look for an MOD, preferably one with twin carbs, if he is seriously considering a 1 - series as a daily driver in today's conditions.

I owned a near identical car to the one advertised in period, except that it was a straight 4 - speed manual (with no OD) which I used as a business tool. Even then, more than 30 years ago, motorway journeys of any length quickly became tedious with the high revs when cruising at 60 - 70 MPH. A slightly later 145 equipped with OD that I also owned was much more civilised in that respect.

No matter how tempting this car might appear, I would advise 'Doocey' to also consider, and if possible drive, similar cars with different configurations to the single carb auto setup of this one.

Regards, John.
Mine was also the 4 speed manual. My lasting memory is how noisy it was travelling down the M1 from Northampton to London at the legal limit, or slightly above. It always felt it was screaming out for an overdrive.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: