Thread: General: 140: - Purchasing a 144
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 19:11   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Fully endorse all of the above, Alan.

I also agree that the 144 in question does look a nice example, but we cannot see what is 'under the skin', and it is as you say a 50 year old motor car.

It is also an automatic - BW35, I think - which is a 3 - speed, non-overdrive unit. It will also have the 1986 cc single carb motor, and from experience, that combination struggles to pull the heavy body around with any degree of aplomb.

I speak from having owned several 1-series cars in period, including manual, MOD and auto, carburettor and injection variants. Today, I would naturally favour an auto but - and I appreciate that the pool of available cars has diminished and choice is therefore limited - I would strongly recommend 'Doocey' to look for an MOD, preferably one with twin carbs, if he is seriously considering a 1 - series as a daily driver in today's conditions.

I owned a near identical car to the one advertised in period, except that it was a straight 4 - speed manual (with no OD) which I used as a business tool. Even then, more than 30 years ago, motorway journeys of any length quickly became tedious with the high revs when cruising at 60 - 70 MPH. A slightly later 145 equipped with OD that I also owned was much more civilised in that respect.

No matter how tempting this car might appear, I would advise 'Doocey' to also consider, and if possible drive, similar cars with different configurations to the single carb auto setup of this one.

Regards, John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Mine was also the 4 speed manual. My lasting memory is how noisy it was travelling down the M1 from Northampton to London at the legal limit, or slightly above. It always felt it was screaming out for an overdrive.
We are all strongly in agreement chaps. The motor car in Alloa looks very nice, but it will have serious limitations if the OP tries to use it as an everyday motor car. I really enjoy the 1960s driving and maintenance experience with Great Aunt Maud, but then I have 3 other cars and plenty of covered off-road parking, a garage full of tools and plenty of time (and enthusiasm!).

As you chaps have pointed out, the 144 would be ideal as a third or fourth motor car for an enthusiast, but I’d be really concerned if our friend the OP needed a motor car to use regularly around Newcastle, London and all points in between.

I do hope I have not misunderstood the OP, but I cant help thinking he would be happier with a nice 1980s 240 or 1990s 740.

Alan

PS. I have an overdrive unit on GAM - and boy does it need it!

Last edited by Othen; Feb 10th, 2022 at 19:16.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: