Thread: New vs Old
View Single Post
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:47   #16
Triple-S
How Old?

John W, I too grew up with a side-valve Ford so over the years got to know its foibles. Plywood floor panels over an inch thick that delaminated but only showed when I took a corner a bit fast and the missus in her seat lifted and slewed over.... 6v electrics which needed daily use of the starting handle in winter - but it always started. Did away with the vacuum wipers - put in an electric motor: fitted flashing indicators after a blind idiot failed to see the semaphores; made my own towbar for it to take my home-made trailer camping all over the country with the toddlers - great times.
Nearly forty years on, times have changed, but like others have said I'd never have a modern car. Far too bland-looking and riddled with those stupid gizmo's: would you leave your computer out in all weathers - of course not. I have driven cars and vans in most continents after years of touring on a big motorbike, so know how to use my eyes and senses to drive safely. Today my cars are all 1/2-series Volvo's, simply because they were the last sensible Volvo's. I don't need parking aids and have never got it wrong: I don't need a radio - it has never worked after two decades of running one of those cars. I don't want a car as cozy as my sofa, don't want to do 80+mph, don't need satnav (on the rare occasions I venture to the unknown, I read the map first), and don't need mobile phone plug-in devices.
I just want sturdy comfort and safety that keeps the weather out. My '70s and '80s Volvo's can all do that - simple really.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post: