View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 13:09   #4
macdoni93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
It is not unusual to have strange spongy feeling after replacing discs and pads on a diesel. It is well known phenomenon that usually settles back to normal in a couple of hundred miles.
The ridge issue could have been caused by a sticking pad. If you cleaned everything properly and applied brake mounting paste this should have sorted that issue.
Not sure what would cause the noise though. Sounds like you may have disturbed a seal somewhere.
Thanks for getting back. I've stripped everything and it is all aligned and spot on. The weird wear looks like some numpty has fitted a wrong sized pad in the past (the swept worn area is smaller at the outer and the inner edge of the disc, and different to the worn area on the flip side of the same disc), and then at some stage fitted the right sized pad (pad I removed is stepped at outer and inner edges). That must have taken some bedding in!

I've just bled the fronts, and a sliver of rubber about 5mm long has come out after pulling a fair bit of fresh fluid through. I'm worried I've damaged a seal in the master cylinder when pushing the pistons back. Never had this happen before, although I've read warnings about it online.

The noise is coming from behind the dashboard, where the vacuum servo sits. I haven't been anywhere near it so not sure how it could have been disturbed, unless pushing the piston back caused the master cylinder to push backwards and affect the diaphragm?

Interesting on the bedding in. They're genuine Volvo pads and discs and it doesn't really feel safe enough to drive if I had to hammer on the anchors. I'll take it out and do a few gentle stops to see if it gets any better.

Cheers!
macdoni93 is offline   Reply With Quote