View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 23:53   #29
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
The most difficult pat of the front struts is removing the strut from the vise like clamp at the bottom, you got to remember that clamp has been in place for 100k+ miles..a lot of patience is required.
I've been here before on numerous VAG & BMW cars in the past... I find a wire brush, liberal amounts of "Plus-Gas" dismantling spray, HD cold chisel and a good size club hammer usually does the trick if that fails I get bigger club hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
My EGR valve and throttle body was about the same, the EGR cooler was clogged up, what really shocked me was the amount of crap in the large pipe connecting the EGR valve to the inlet manifold OMG . When I did some research on this I remember reading a post by someone which read " well, that's what happens when you feed the engine it's own sh!t " lol kind of obvious when you think about it. I did think about taking the inlet manifold off and tracing this gunk all the way through the engine to eradicate it but then looked into the cost of new parts and held myself back . Taking the inlet manifold off will mean removing the HP fuel lines...no no no too expensive. SO instead i took the MAP off and gave that a good clean, found that was broken so new MAP.....and stop !
Considering you left the EGR in the car that is a good job. Other then a large towel and elbow grease what chemical did you use to clean the carbon off?
Pic below of my cleaning tool kit (yes... that is disposable plastic cutlery and an old tooth brush which work really well ) + numerous soft rugs (old microfibre cloth is good) and a tin of Wynns Professional formula Brake & clutch cleaner was all I used

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes View Post
The fact that i took it all off the engine I ended up sitting in the garden with plenty of rags, plenty of clean water, buckets to catch the dirt, and a few cans of mr muscle oven cleaner. Unbelievable how that eats through the carbon, obviously did not leave it on for more then 10 minutes and made sure it was all washed off...but unbelievable
Good shout about Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner I may tray that next time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3194.jpg (244.9 KB, 8 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG

Last edited by Auto Addict; Jun 6th, 2020 at 23:57.
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote