Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 11:40   #1602
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I always find reversing into garages is easier than driving in. Firstly you have door mirrors you can use to see where the rear of the car is in relation to the sides/back of the garage, secondly it's easier to turn in small spaces in reverse (think of a fork lift with rear wheel steering), thirdly it's physically easier to drive out and less chance of an accident with other vehicles that haven't seen you trying to reverse out of a garage you can't see naything out of, fourthly the cold, steamy exhaust fumes won't be obscuring your view as they would if you were reversing out - i could go on as there's a few more reasons too.

Good call on telling your mate to sort the Z4 out, it's not doing him or the car any favours not being used.

I think BMW were very poor back in the 90s with equipment, as you say, too much missing as standard that other marques already had. Also i had a couple of 728s way back when and both developed serious problems very quickly, that put me off them for life.
I agree with all that Dave, although I don't reverse the Porsche into the garage because it is quite a bit wider at the back than at the front, so it is handy to have the rear wheel arches where I can see them in the mirrors.

I'm tired of fixing this particular Z4 - it is nearly always the same thing (flat battery), and my mate just doesn't listen to any advice (he is in his mid 70s and a bit stuck in his ways). I've just finished taking Bob for his second walk (I've rigged up a fan in the kitchen for him so he can cool down, it is a scorcher today), so I'll head over to MH with the battery I've borrowed from the RB as a back up plan. This will be the very last time I fix this Z4 though!

I struggle to understand the allure of BMW cars, but they somehow justify a high price and are popular.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: