Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 15:05   #1604
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default German engineering

Or is it simply because it is German? Anecdotally, German engineering has long been regarded by many as 'better'. This applies, not just to BMW, but to Audi, Mercedes and, yes, Porsche.

This may well have been so once, but others have closed the gap to the point where there are no really 'bad' cars anymore. Your example of the Dolomite just wouldn't happen today, 'L.S.', or if it did it just wouldn't sell. This may have led to BMW et. al. trading upon their reputation and past glories, but arguably no more so than Volvo on theirs for safety.

It does not apply only to cars, either. I seem to recall you challenging me recently when I mentioned Bosch in another context, 'L.S.'. Past glories? Rolls-Royce once even traded on 'The Magic of a Name'; now the cars are no more than, in effect, posh BMWs! Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

Having said all of that, I regarded my NSU Quickly moped as better built than certain British offerings, and my NSU Prima 5 Star scooter better engineered than the equivalent Lambrettas, so perhaps there was something in it, after all?!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Aug 11th, 2020 at 15:11. Reason: Minor corrections
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: