Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 15:27   #1605
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You need a Porsche-shaped garage Alan! Or maybe just an extra wide one.

Good luck with that Z4, sounds like you're going to need it!

Back in the 1970s, just after the triumph Dolomite was launched, there was a band of people looking for a car and the two choices were a Dolomite or a "Neue Klasse" BMW 1602/2002 - sadly strikes hit BL at that time and the Dolomite became available in fits and starts, sometimes with dubious build quality as a result of the workers apathy due to low wages etc. If the 16/2002 hadn't been a success, BMW would have gone under. The Dolomite was cheaper and just as good (when it was built right) but lack of availability meant fewer were sold so buyers went to BMW and many stuck with it. You can guess the rest!

One of the reasons I fitted electric roller doors to the garage was to get an extra 4" width - for the Porsche.

The Z4 is fixed, it fired up straight away with the RB's battery (by chance an exact fit), and now is running fine on its own, charged battery. I told Shaun he should sell it now during the nice weather (it is the folding hard top type) - he would still get something for it and I won't turn up to start it in 6 months time. I don't know whether he will or not (has 2 other cars: an electric thing and a really nice 1984 Ford Capri V6, hence not using the beemer).

I agree about the Triumph Dolomite piece - it was a really nice car, particularly with the 16 valve engine, every bit as good as the BMWs of the day. The BL malaise got to it though... we know the rest of the story. It could so easily have been BMW going broke and Triumph occupying that place in car manufacture today.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 11th, 2020 at 15:46.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: