Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:19   #1610
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
There does seem to be something about German engineering in the British psyche - I find it inexplicable - in my experience Japanese engineering is generally better than German (certainly in bikes, cars, electronics, cameras ...). British science and technology are also very sound, but as a nation we seem to have a problem with the boring bit: making thousands of copies all up to the same high standard.

In the motorcycle world there is no serious challenge to Japanese.

Alan
Agreed, Alan, and it has been so since the 1960s. When I turned 16, it was normal to ride some sort of sub £10 'fixer-upper', not unlike my Raleigh Runabout. I believe that I described it in an earlier post as being a reinforced pedal cycle with a 49cc two-stroke engine slung under the bottom bracket.

There was one lad in my class whose parents were perhaps a little better off than most and who bought him a new Honda 50 C100 (Cub) - this was in late 1964. What a beautiful machine: four-stroke OHV motor with full suspension, foot-rests and a pillion seat. Unrestricted in those far-off days, it would do over 40 MPH, return 100 + MPG and came with indicators, speedometer, electric horn, brake-light and mirrors, all as standard. I think the only 'extras' offered were a windscreen and panniers - there was even one fitted with an electric foot, the C102.

That should have rung warning bells loud and clear in the board-rooms of Britain at the time, but we chose to ignore it to our cost. It was just the same with cars in the '70s. As you said, even the most basic came with a radio, when not a decade earlier some British manufacturers were still listing heaters as optional extras - hard to imagine when you remember that the first Datsun (Nissan) was a CKD Austin 7!

Regards, John.