View Single Post
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 22:52   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
For me, the beauty of my system for adjusting the fuel mixture (measurement of the jets) when applied to the Volvo is that you don't need to remove the air filters.

To be honest, I developed that system on the MGA simply because I could not tune the carbs well enough using the lifting pin method. Air filters were not a factor because a) at first, I ran velocity stacks with no air filters and b) when I added air filters, my set up permits them both to be removed in about 8 seconds. Now the Volvo air filters are a different story …
Agreed, but the carbs have to be treated separately by loosening the central clamp/clamps on the shafts to set the flows equally before locking down and adjusting the mixture. Yes, the jets should be set level with the bridge as a starting point with the dashpots off if you are being fussy, as just winding the jet nuts full up doesn't always set them equal. Not uncommon to find that one jet doesn't quite go fully up to the bridge so if that happens, match the other jets position to it. At that point turning the jets down 12 flats/ one 1/2 turns of the nut will give you a starting point but it is rare that they will end up with equal flats down after fine-tuning.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote